Simple Way to Make a Pom Pom

I was indecisive about whether I should include pom pom instructions with my hat patterns that call for a pom pom. Actually, I didn't really want to go to the trouble of writing it out and taking photos. AND I reasoned that there are tons of instructions about pom pom making all over the internet--just go look. But I finally decided that if my hat calls for a pom pom I should tell you how to make one. So here we go:

Trace circle onto cardboard or plastic and cut out. If you want a 2” pom pom, the area you wrap needs to be 1” wide. I trace around a jar or glass for the outer circle and a bottle cap or something similar for the smaller circle.

 

Cut circle in half and then cut out inner circle
 
Cut 12 inch length of yarn and insert between the two half circles. I stuff the extra yarn between the cardboard so it’s out of my way while I’m winding the yarn around the cardboard.
 
Wrap yarn evenly around cardboard, going back and forth from one end to the other. The more yarn you use, the fuller your pom pom will be.
 
Tighten yarn around pom pom before cutting yarn.
 
Slip tip of scissors between cardboard and cut yarn. I hold it flat on the table to keep the yarn from slipping out while I cut.
 

Tighten yarn around pom pom, wrap around at least twice if possible.


Fluff pompom, trim ends.


No comments:

Post a Comment