Dream Weaver becomes Rug Weaver

When my Grandma Seater moved to assisted living, I was given her old rug loom. I don't know the
history behind it as far as when she acquired it or what she did with the rugs she made. The loom sat in her basement for many, many years, dirty, dusty, musty. I wasn't even sure I wanted the old thing when it was offered to me. Not to mention, I didn't know anything about weaving.

Once it was in my possession, I went to work learning all that I could about weaving rag rugs. But before I could make my first rug I had a lot of work to do. 


Mainly, I had to strip the old varnish off of the wood, sand it, and rub it down with 
tung oil. Of course all of the metal parts were rusty so that required even more work. Luckily, someone told me about a spray-on rust cutter which saved me a lot of time.










At this point I'm wondering what I've gotten myself into and if I'm going to remember how to put everything back together.









Fortunately I found a person online who sent me
photos of her loom. I don't know how I would have gotten it together without those photos.

I haven't made many rugs, though. It has a few mechanical issues that I'm unable to resolve, either because the parts are worn or missing.

It will be staying in that spot forever since I can't move it through the doorway unless I take it apart.



One of my first rugs in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment